Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What Friendships Could be Like Without The Media

As I can remember, the first I heard of MySpace was in the 8th grade. I had met my best friend Theresa in the 7th grade, before we were experiencing the hype of online social networking. Throughout the years, Facebook came along and became more popular than MySpace. As the years passed by, Theresa and I gradually made the switch from MySpace to Facebook, as all of our other friends were doing as well. Although it was becoming the "new thing" to chat and socialize with friends online, Theresa and I didn't really pay attention to it much, instead we did things that we will never forget and had some of the best times together. We don't always care with what's going on online, although we do sometimes post things and share pictures on Facebook, this is an example of friendship WITHOUT over consumption of the media. Theresa and I are still best friends to this day, and yes even though we both have Facebook accounts, we keep on making great memories together face-to-face. We'd way rather be out doing something, than being online! Why have friends if you only socialize with each other online? What fun is that anyways?

Here is Theresa and I at the Sonoma County Fair Summer of 2011 riding on the "Tilt-a-World."Smiling having a fun time, NOT online. ;)

Here is Theresa and I on New Years 2012 partying, having a great time, celebrating the New Year! NOT on Facebook updating how much fun we are having.

Theresa and I in our first apartment together. Equipped with wireless internet but we definitely don't need the internet NOW. Haha


Theresa and I swinging enjoying the park and re-living the child in us. Weee! NOT Tweeeet!


And to end it, this picture describes our relationship in a nutshell. Goofy, funny, and GETTING each other because we aren't having a friendship only online, we have one in real life. WOW! ;) Theresa and I have managed to stay close over time, unlike my other old friends to whom I have lost contact with, even when they are still my friends on Facebook to this day. Being active offline, is time well spent, and makes a good friendship last.

7 comments:

  1. That is great that you guys are still so close. It's rare to find good friends, that don't fall off over time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me happy to know that you have someone that has been in your life throughout the years. It is always hard to keep a really good friendship going if you only have that awkward cyber relationship haha. Looks like you'll never have to worry about that again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl!!! I completely agree with you on how you are closer with your bestfriend because you guys see eachother every day and interact with eachother instead of socializing only by text or social networks!! GREAT JOB!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree and disagree with you. :( But if it weren't for facebook or texting I wouldn't really be able to communicate with my best friend who lives in Chicago. We are still very close and maybe even closer than ever but if it weren't for social networking we probably wouldn't be as close as you are with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheryl, I really enjoyed reading this post! You are so right when it comes to your views about friendship. It made me think about the friends I have and how lucky I am to have such a great relationship with them that isn't online!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how you did your multi-media post. it was not only creative but also a good use of technology using photography.
    I've been through a lot of friends over the years. it's good to know that some people are lucky enough to have good friends still. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like a very popular post, many comments here=you must have reached people. I enjoyed these pics, one thing they all seem to have in common (besides the two of you) is happy energy. I like how you tied it in to class and the Weee not Tweet>awesome!

    ReplyDelete